Flowserve Corporation R&D Software Engineer in Springville, Utah
Flowserve is the recognized world leader in supplying pumps, valves, seals, automation, and services to the power, oil, gas, chemical, and other industries. With more than 18,000 employees in more than 55 countries, we combine our global reach with a local presence.
Position Summary (Why this job exists, who are the customers, and what are the expectations):
The purpose of this job is to apply research and engineering principals to the development of new digital products and smart valve technology. The software specialist is responsible for customer/product interfaces with the software product design and development process. This will include participation with planning, concept development, system-level design, detail design, testing and refinement, and production ramp-up for software products.
This job also involves technical support to customers, reps, field service technicians, and Flowserve employees through phone conversations, in-plant visits, off-site visits, and training classes. Project management and leadership is often required.
Job Duties: This section describes the principle responsibilities of the position
Interface with customers, Flowserve people, and vendors to identify unmet needs, untapped market niches or untapped technology. Keep abreast of new developments via technical magazines, journals and business magazines. Maintain academic proficiency through advanced seminars, course work, professional conferences and new text books when possible.
Evaluate and adopt the latest in new electronics and software technology and research when applicable.
Work on a team or lead a project team to design, model, fabricate and test new product designs and prototypes in a thorough and timely manner. Assist manufacturing with new production. Provide Engineering with documentation for bills of material, product support and product line extensions. Provide technical assistance to Sales and Marketing for new products.
Provide production and field support of new and redesigned products during the development stage.
Provide technical support to all areas of Flowserve with regards to digital products and smart valve technology.
Each individual should become familiar with the safety regulations, and take personal responsibility for following them to ensure personal safety as well as the safety of their coworkers.
It is the responsibility of each employee, within their job responsibilities, to provide quality products, documentation, services, supervision and training, in accordance with Flowserve’s Quality Assurance Manuals, procedures, drawings, regulatory requirements, etc., aimed at achieving sustained organizational success and customer satisfaction.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel: talk or hear. The employee must frequently be able to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and/or reach with hands and arms. The employee must also occasionally lift fifty pounds or less. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
This job occasionally requires exposure to work near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and/or risk of electrical shock. Typical noise levels for this job are moderate.
Required Qualifications :
· Ability to Embedded Program C Programming on Microcontrollers.
· Experience with Microcontroller peripherals (UART, SPI, I2C, ADC, DAC, Counter/Timer, RTC, etc.)
· Ability to understand PID control and DSP Algorithms (IIR & FIR filters)
· Ability to read schematics
· Ability to Program in LabVIEW
· Proficiency with computer software design tools (word processor, spreadsheet, internet, PCB CAD).
· Ability to use electronic CAD systems for schematic design entry, simulation, and printed circuit board layout and routing.
· Ability to use electronic test equipment to troubleshoot electronic circuitry.
· Ability to debug embedded software using simulators, debuggers, and in-circuit emulators.
· EMI/RFI design and test skills
· Safety certification knowledge and experience
· Ability to write technical reports and training materials and to keep a laboratory notebook.
· Ability to diagnose electronics problems through the application of theory and testing.
· Ability to work on teams and groups.
· Ability to plan, schedule, and execute projects.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form.
· Ability to organize and lead design teams to produce new designs or resolve problems with existing designs.
· Must be able to work in a team-oriented atmosphere and be a self-motivated contributing team member.
Electrical Engineer Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university with an emphasis on software development; and more than 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Additionally, a minimum of 2+ years experience in electrical design.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Understanding of basic control theory and PID loops. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Beneficial Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· A broad exposure and familiarity with the overall software industry is required. Extra consideration will be given to those candidates that have experience in Industrial Computing and/or Process Control Industries.
· Creative abilities.
· Mechanical and pneumatics background.
· Advanced control theory knowledge and experience
· TI MSP430
· ARM Cortex-M processors
· IAR Compiler for MSP430
· Keil MDK-ARM Compiler for Cortex-M
· Parasoft C++Test
· Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS)
· HART or Fieldbus Communications Protocols
· Extreme low power applications
· Pressure sensors and magnetic AMR sensors
· Safety Integrity Level (SIL) applications
· Intrinsic Safety (IS) applications
Job Posting/Business Card Title:
R&D Software Engineer
Primary Posting Location:
Springville, Utah US
Percentage of Approximate Travel Required:
Job Posting Category:
United States of America
Auto req ID: